Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Banana Pudding From Scratch


So I've been missing my family a little lately and my life has been a tad stressful. You see, I don't like surprises. I'm a planner. I need to know what's going to happen, when it's going to happen and how it's going to happen. That's how God wired me. Funny thing is, that's not how God usually does things. F A I T H - ugh, what a hard word for us control freaks. Surrendering complete control to God's will is the hardest thing for some of us to do. Even when we know in our heart that He is in control, loves us and has a plan for us . . . our head still want to be in control.

I say all of that to lead into the reason for tonight's recipe. Sometimes I use comfort foods to cope with my anxiety. And since I am both anxious and missing my family, I decided to make my grandmother's banana pudding. I also think everyone should know how to make banana pudding from scratch. Not a box. Homemade.

Banana Pudding

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 T flour
2 cups milk

Mix the ingredients in a boiler and cook slowly over low heat. Stir often while cooking. It will thicken after being removed from heat.

Remove from heat and add:
1 t butter
1 t vanilla

This is not instant pudding. It should take 40-45 minutes for the pudding to thicken slowly without scorching. But it is so worth it.

I pour my pudding over Nilla wafers and two bananas. Let it set for 10 minutes or longer and allow the wafers to soak in the pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment