Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Birthday Cake

A friend requested an oreo cake for her son's second birthday party. So I made my traditional chocolate cake and spiced it up with oreo pudding. Then I made my signature frosting and spiced it up with crushed oreos as well. I know I said this blog was about sharing recipes, but these are two recipes that I just can't share. Because let's face it, if you could make it then you wouldn't need me!

So since I won't share those two recipes, how about the Coca Cola icing that I recently made on cupcakes for the GA coffee house at church? I've had many requests for that recipe and since it isn't an original I don't mind sharing. The recipe was handed down to me by my mother. I'm not sure where it originated.

Coca Cola Icing

6 Tablespoons of Coke (you can use diet, but come on . . . it's frosting)
1 stick of oleo (that's butter for you millennials)
1 box of confectioner's sugar
2 Tablespoons of cocoa
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a small sauce pan, heat the coke and oleo to boiling. Remove from heat and add confectioner's sugar and cocoa. Blend well. Add nuts if desired.

This is a crusting frosting and it will harden if left in the pan for too long. It's best applied to your cake, brownies, cupcake, et cetera, while the frosting is still hot. You can reheat the frosting to a pourable consistency if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment