Saturday, March 27, 2010

Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle

Since I was a teenager I have been making death by chocolate and it's always been a huge hit. As I was flipping through my April & May 2010 issue of Taste of Home I saw a delightful picture of a variation on death by chocolate. Same concept, but with Reese's peanut butter cups. Since Donald loves peanut butter, I knew this was a recipe I'd have to give a try.

I would rate this recipe easy, but time consuming. It's one of those things you do in stages. You have to bake the brownies and let them cool. Open each individual mini Reese's peanut butter cup. Make the pudding and let it stand. Then assemble it all.

I want to emphasize that this is not my recipe. It can be found on page 17 of the April & May 2010 issue of Taste of Home.



Peanut Butter Brownie Trifle
Rating: ★★★★ (Donald's rating)

1 fudge brownie mix (13 x 9 pan size)
1 package (10 oz) peanut butter chips
2 packages (13 oz) miniature peanut butter cups
4 cups cold 2% milk
2 packages (5.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix (I used cook and serve)
1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used crunchy)
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cartons (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used two)

1. Prepare brownie batter according to package directions. Stir in peanut butter chips. Bake in a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Do not overbake. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into 3/4 inch pieces.

2. Cut peanut butter cups in half; setting 1/3 cup aside for garnish. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for two minutes. If you use cook and serve, just follow the directions on the box. Let stand for two minutes or until soft-set. Add peanut butter and vanilla and mix well. Fold in two cartons whipped topping.

3. Place a third of the brownies in a 5 qt glass bowl. Top with a third of the remaining peanut butter cups. Spoon a third of the pudding mixture over the top. Repeat layers twice. Cover with remaining whipped topping (omit if you only use two cartons of whipped topping); garnish with reserved peanut butter cups. Refrigerate until chilled.

Ecclésiastique!

No comments:

Post a Comment